DMAIC Project for Process Improvement
- Define the Problem:
In the last 6 months, there have been 10,987 calls lasting more than 5 minutes, which is 24% of the calls. > 35% of calls must be escalated because the representative cannot find the answer or cannot find it quickly enough.
- Measure the Process:
The value stream map says that our new reps struggle with our answer system. And customers don’t use our email or self serve platforms.
- Analyze the Root Cause:
- It takes to long for reps to find the answer.
- Reps are not trained.
- The system is too complicated and wordy.
- Reps rely on the experts and escalation path.
- Customers don’t know about or how to use OCM for self service. Customers don’t use email system.
- Improve the Process:
- OCM training for Reps and Customers
- Visual tracking and performance
- Changed productivity requirements for 2020 to include: meeting calls per hour, total talk time less than 5 minutes, and maintaining adherence for AID (break overages, etc)
- Review of Voice of Customer Report to address time gaps in phones being answered
- Began receiving Hot Alerts from Customer Care to address hold times and delayed responses
- Implementing addition of email to answer questions versus inbound phone calls being received
- Control the Process and Check for Improvement:
- Update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to include Hot Alerts, Email implementation, Voice of Customer Report review
- Train all support staff to new processes
- Visual Controls
- Posting the average talk times and hold times in the department daily
- Follow Up Plan
- Review KPIs weekly
- Meet with managers weekly to review process and get ideas from the team
…and what were the results?
Lean Six Sigma Toolbox helps companies in any industry find new ways to operate, lowering costs and improving customer, or patient, satisfaction. Sign up for one of our Lean Six Sigma Toolbox Green Belt courses here.